Friday, February 22, 2013

MY KIDS

All teachers should feel this way...
 


I taught 4th grade language arts for seven years in Water Valley- aka "The Valley".  My students and coworkers there warmed my heart every single day. But, it was time for a new adventure, and a phone call from one of my former professors at Ole Miss made me realize that it was time for something different.  This is my fourth semester to teach my "BIG" kids at the University of Mississippi, and although it has definitely been a learning curve, it has been so worth it.  My big kids need me, too.  As adjunct faculty for the School of Education Teacher Education department, each semester has been a little different.  Last semester I taught 4 classes- and they were all different classes which called for 4 different preps and keeping up with 100 college kids.  I chased my tail every day.  This semester, I teach 4 classes, but they are all the same class- an early childhood reading course- so I only have one prep.  I consider myself lucky to promote the love of reading in the classroom... it really is so much fun and my BIG kids amaze me everyday!
 
 
Yesterday we read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.....
 
 
 
In my opinion, it is one of the very best read alouds for preschool children.
 
Here are my BIG kids participating in the read aloud experience....
 
 
 
And one of my students insisted that we needed a panoramic photo.... even I am doing some learning!
 
 
 
This semester, I am lucky enough to have three precious foreign exchange students from Norway.  I only hope that they understand my fast talking southern teaching style! Here they are participating in a read aloud lesson:
 
 
In January, we did a thematic unit on the history of Mardi Gras.  So many of my students had never tasted King Cake, so we sampled it and made our own Mardi Gras Masks.  Do you know that every person riding a Mardi Gras Float has to have on a mask?
 
 
 
My thoughts exactly.....
 
 
Happy Friday, friends!!
Enjoy the weekend!!
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment